Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Demise of Disinformation

In recent years, the once fantastic publications from the Disinformation group have become boring and derivative.  In place of the varying points of view they once offered, they now simply parrot the opinions of political pundits.

I have one of their books (I forget which one), and I enjoy it.  I don't agree with all of the writers, but, then again, I'm not supposed to.  The idea of the book (according to its intro) was to bring new opinions and points of view to the reader, and it succeeded.  But that vision is lost now.

In George W. Bush's second term, the disinformation website was filled with a few articles about conspiracies and media cover-ups, as well as a few thousand articles criticizing the policies of President Bush.  I can get that over at CNN.  Or a YouTube commenter for that matter.

Today, things aren't improving.  There are articles proclaiming that the Tea Party is stupid and that anyone disliking President Obama is certainly a racist.  That kind of tripe isn't disinformation - it's just angry political ranting.

A once useful publication has rendered itself obsolete.

No comments:

Post a Comment